Multilingual translation workshops offer you an opportunity to meet in a small group with an established translator to discuss and receive feedback on a brief excerpt of work in your translation from any language into English. Participants need not all share the same source language(s), and you may submit texts translated from a language other than the one(s) your workshop leader is an expert in.
From emerging translators looking to workshop their first translation, to established translators looking for help on a tricky passage, these workshops are for everyone! Each workshop lasts 105 minutes in Zoom, and offers a collaborative experience between one workshop leader and 6 participants who circulate their work in advance.
Click on the button below to find the bios for our next round of workshop leaders and to sign up. You will be able to see how many seats are remaining in each workshop. You are also welcome to register for more than one workshop. We hold two rounds of workshops per year, in the spring (April) and summer (August).
ALTA members receive 20% off of all tickets using the member promo code. Input your code above the list of tickets, in the box that says Promo Code. Make sure to click "Apply" and you will see the price change. If you need your code, please search your email for "ALTA member promo code" or write to firstname.lastname@example.org. You are welcome to sign up for more than one workshop!
Workshops will be captioned using Zoom's automatic transcription feature.
What to expect when you register for a workshop
Once you register for a workshop, you will receive a confirmation email with the following links:
- Link to upload your workshop text (with corresponding source text) to Dropbox
- Link to view your fellow participants' work prior to the workshop
- Link to join your workshop in Zoom at the appointed day/time
To ensure the best experience, we request workshop participants make the following commitments:
- Please submit a short translation text of yours and its corresponding original source text by the deadline in your confirmation email. Please limit your translation submission to one page. If you submit a longer text, the workshop leaders will only read and comment on the first page. Also, please be aware that if you submit your text after the deadline, your workshop leader may not be able to comment on your text before the workshop. However, you are still welcome to attend the workshop. When you register for a workshop, a link to submit your texts will be sent to you in your Eventbrite confirmation email.
- Please read your peers’ work and be ready to comment on it before your workshop starts (you are not required to give the translator written comments, however). In order to give your workshop leader and fellow participants enough time to read everyone's work prior to the workshop, please be sure to submit your work on time.
- When you submit your translation, you are encouraged to include one paragraph of context summary in the same document. (This does not count against your one-page limit on your translation.) This should be simply a few words about the author and the text, and why you chose this piece.
- Email addresses for the 6 participants in your workshop will be shared with the group in advance of the workshop so that you may contact each other if you like. If you would prefer your email address NOT be shared with your fellow participants, please email ALTA at email@example.com to opt out.
After attending the workshop, you will have the opportunity to share feedback in a survey. We look forward to hearing from you!